Saturday, January 31, 2026

Day 50 - Back At It

I missed a few consecutive days, as I tried to get used to the speed at MF. My first full week went by so fast! I was a little grouchy at first on how fast-paced it was, but I'm grateful to be in a workplace with political values close to my own. 

I didn't realize I took my political values for granted, until I was challenged by someone in C's family. It was the first time someone challenged me on a FB post, so it was strange. I'm so used to everyone agreeing in the Bay Area, it's a unified front there. But here, I'm a minority in color, race, and now political values. I haven't been in such a situation in a very long, my not ever. It also has to do with a growing political awareness of my values. 

In the Bay, I witnessed peaceful protests, sympathetic and compassionate commaraderie, people speaking out against atrocities, and so much more. I took it for granted; the passionate outcry by my peers when something grotesque happened under our federal government. But now it's the one, and my only, thing I miss about living in the Bay. I mourn not having this like-minded community. I embrace my life here, but I know I must speak more carefully, quietly, about what I believe in. I know the people I know right now wouldn't hurt me, but they also wouldn't respect me, too.

It's almost like I'm living in the age of the Underground Railroad. Quietly and secretly, people supported and helped slaves escape and live a new life where they were free. Maybe I'll read a book about it. It's somewhat inspiring, to feel so uncomfortable in the current societal climate, but to know to look back in history to movements that were successful. It's the first time in a long time that I want to do research that might inspire some writings.

No comments: