Sunday, January 25, 2026

Bonus for Today

Lately I've been feeling like I'm getting luckier. I gained a new client, I started working, and I have an interview for a dream job coming up. I was so worried about being jobless for a long time, but it seems like our local economy here is a bit more stable. Or maybe I have a lot of really good work experiences?

I've been working in comms since late 2018. I have jumped around a lot, but I'm more interested in "planting roots" with my next employment experience. I'm somewhat thinking long-term with this decision, something I haven't really done in the past. 

Before it was, what is the title and how much will I get paid.

Now, it's more like: will this be fun and natural in the long run? I think the new client will definitely be fun in the long run. It feels somewhat like a partnership. It's a small agency and the founder seems really down to earth. She is giving TS vibes, which is so good. She seems fair and reliable and like a great client to work with, so I'll try to do my best with them.

The paper is good for right now. The work is fairly easy, though of course there is a weekly deadline to work towards, so it's somewhat fast-paced. But I'm used to a fast pace with SC. There were always last minute changes and last minute messages to write. But it was also fairly routine and predictable at the same time.

But I think I want to be able to move up the ladder and gain more leadership skills along the way. I'm not sure yet, as this is the first time in my career where I'm having these thoughts. I was always just comfortable being an individual contributor, but now I've gained like, eight years of experience in comms alone, three in semi-copywriting, and a slew of different angles and approaches to comms. My favorite is working in health/health and wellness industry. I would love to break into healthcare.

I'm realizing I have to be a bit selfish now, or at least there is more to protect and provide for. A job is not only a means to stay busy for me, but now a path to keep improving in life and improving our life situation for not only me now, but also for my husband, MIL, and future child.

My mom very strongly said, if I want to be a successful parent, I have to stable, especially financially stable. I have to be able to provide for my child, and children are not inexpensive. I didn't think about it that way; I thought, having a flexible schedule as freelancer would benefit the child; but she made it clear that kids cost money--yes. And if we want a big, fancy modern home, we have to be able to afford it.

And, so, I'm not going to give up on freelance - I think it's fun and flexible. But at this time, I need to do it in addition to a full-time, stable role, if possible. I need to work for it and fight for it. My mom is always right. But my sis and husband agree with her, too. It's good to gather multiple opinions, especially since sometimes I see my life in a narrow kind of way; I'm so used to being alone and making my decisions in a vacuum, but now I have a family to consider. Things are shifting.

No comments: