Tuesday, June 13, 2006

World Cup 2006

I should have realized that the world cup would be a BIG, HUMUNGO DEAL in Korea, especially since Korea is the reigning winner from the last cup. Four years later and here we are, ready for another victory. OMIGOSH! There is a HUGE amount of fanaticism!!!! Fans camping out in Germany, dressed in Red shirts (like EVERYONE last night, but me), little battery-powered red devil horns (they are SUPER cute), and there is a TON of really interesting costumes and fan gear besides the usual face painting. My favorite is the blue and red angel wings.^^

Besides everyone wearing World Cup gear, there were HUGE screens set up all over Seoul, let alone the one in City Hall which drew its massive crowd. It was so cool being able to see *the* grassy field the day before the game. We were lucky enough to get a nice room in City Hall with a view where you can see the main stage. It would have been a PERFECT spot to watch the game. But instead, I was at a bar in Hongdae with some former co-workers, drinking some Hite.^^

I just got in from saying good bye to a good friend a few hours prior - a friend I saw everyday for the past year - and I was in no mood to see people. But, throughout the day, you could feel the energy rising throughout the city. Besides the regular vendors and commercials on TV remininding one of the first game's drawing nearness, girls were already wearing their devil horns, short minis, and red World Cup tube tops, while guys were in the red jerseys and metro hairstyles, and some with WC bandanas on their wrists (I got a bandana the other day^^). All night long chants on TV, "Da han min gook!!" were followed by chants from crowds in the streets, people watching from bars, and people watching from home.

I ALMOST stayed home BY MYSELF if it hadn't been for an invite from a friend..
Oh the horror..>_<
and I probably wouldn't have seriously watched the game which Korea won over Togo 2 to 1!!!!! Holy shit!! It was so much fun!! ^^

No comments: