Friday, June 23, 2006

Getting By Before Classes Start Up

I just got in after a fruitless attempt at trying to get into the World Cup Stadium. I TRIED, I really did. (sorry for the deuchbag misspellings, blog has a mind of its own at times.) For about an hour, I waited and looked between the metal bars for some sign that would say, "Now's your chance! Rush the gates and run in!" But none was found. Instead, there were announcements made on the loudspeakers overhead that said something about not being able to go into the entrances, and there were guards telling the crowds to get in line, but it was all in Korean and my Konglish just doesn't cut it sometimes. Not to mention, I was alone and a guy friend of mine was on the other side, but I get antsy waiting by myself and I start thinking too much about the people around me and then I start thinking about how I'm thinking too much about the people aroud me and then I starting thinking, "So what?! These are my thoughts, anyway.." It's a vicious cycle, seriously. Guess going to places by myself gets too complicated..

But before I got to that point, I was filled with a slow surge of excitement on my way there. I didn't know what kind of nugim (feeling) I would experience once I got there, but I felt the beginnings of something that was just beyond the gates. As soon as I passed HapJeong Station on the green line, that's what the rush began. The crowd flowed in from the green line onto the tan line and I was then swept away. It then took me to the World Cup Station just a few stations from my place and the next thing I new it, I was on the escalator, traveling upwards towards the stadium. As I was going, people were leaving from watching the earliers games; me on the up escalator feeling all giddy and other people on the down. I think the best part of going with the crowd, is feeling that up and down of nerves. Suddenly, I'm a girl going to a high school party all because of a crush on the boy-next-door.

The evening ended with a smooth, and soothing conversation with a stranger - an average Joe, Korean guy. I didn't even catch his name, but our talk definitely lifted my spirits before I headed home.

No comments: