Wednesday, June 28, 2006

A few interesting, and welcomed, questions..

Do I get nervous about my life these days?

Sometimes. But I wish it was a definite NO since I KNEW my nerves always got the best of me in the past. Put on skates with a quarter inch blade, and there isn't much room for nerves; the slightest muscle out of line, and your ass is SMACK! on the ice and you're left with a nice shiner and the memory of falling. But after awhile, the pain wasn't SO awful, and I learned to brush it off and get back up. I couldn't just stop after one fall, right? Then I'd be going no where, not to mention the terrible job my coach would end up getting blamed for. It leaves 59 minutes left of a session and I'm out 50$ worth of a private lesson with a phenomenal coach. Just keep putting that over a young 13-year-old girl's head, and the nerves will be ironed out soon enough, conformity aside.

Yes, it's easy to talk about my "good ol' days" on the ice, and toot my own horn with stories about how the skating world used to work back when I was at the pinnacle of my competitive days. But then, I DO want to feel nervous at times. Feeling a rush of excitement lets me know that I'm ALIVE, and that I'm feeling something, rather than nothing at all. And I did feel very nervous in college...around everyone. It was awful. After my comfort zone was rocked during one stage of my life, it was so difficult for me to find an equilibrium again. Perhaps it's because I come from a family who is constantly pushing that high bar, and somehow not maxing themselves out - they are pushing 60 and they can still run circles around me.

But I DO want to feel my nerves, and I do want to feel pushed out of my comfort zone and compelled to make a change in my life, however frustrating it may be to realize what that difference might be. Some often mention tension and even that fire, but perhaps it's telling myself that I can take those risks again. Not the extreme extreme ones, of course, but I can (finally) LIVE, if it means fighting for it. *sigh.

Do I consider myself to be a complicated person?
No. Again, the life and mind of an athlete is simplified, often times but support systems, so he or she can just DO IT. Like Nike, or "be like Mike," that kind of stuff. It's absolutely true and DOES make a difference. The girls out in California aren't the best in the country for no reason. The massive amounts of dough that must have been put into the elite training centers was probably more that what I paid for to go to a in-state university.

But then, I left the athlete's life behind me a couple of years ago. It's to keep my weight down, these days. arg. Where's my metabolism of the 20yr old?! Does 5 years make that much of a difference?? Perhaps..

Lastly, one I asked myself..hehe..
Do I feel a sense of belonging in my life right now?
Another negative. I feel acceptance, for sure, and I DO feel comfortable. At least, right? I suppose that does sound the least that I could feel about my parent's home country, a place that is full of attachment, fusion ideals, really. Korea is doing QUITE well and it shows in SO many ways. The only thing really stopping the country is the divide on the 38th. But then I don't want to jinx anything, so I'm going to be rather succinct about that. I look around me and at my life in Seoul, and I love it, I enjoy it, and I feel enormously grateful. However, I don't feel that sense of belonging with a group of friends I can just fall back upon, a group of friends I can run to in the middle of the night and just let it all go...I don't have lil Stef and Cec's apartment to just run to, and I don't have Eunsoo to talk to whenever I want and run away with. That is seriously missing in my life. I've successful removed and elminated EVERYTHING which has previously caused me pain, stress and headache in the past, but my life is still not without the mystery.

One thing I'm positive about, I do believe in luck and good health.
Here's to living a healthy, health conscious, life~

No comments: