Friday, September 01, 2006

40 days in the desert..

I have 50 or so more posts to go with this blog, and although this isn't a countdown, I'm just noting it to myself. What? Only 50 more days of dancedancerevolution2000??? (Just think symbolism here.) I should probably keep one or two empty, but I wonder if I can just buy more space, like get blogger premium somehow. That seems feasible, especially with the way technology is reeling out of control these days, and hurtling itself into the future at a pace that seems unstoppable. Who is saying, "Halt! Who goes there?" My experience with technology in Korea has been especially eerie, and it's not anything specific about the country, I think, but a matter of circumstance. There are just some people making out like bandits, and others, well, left searching for some mode of control or, at the least, technological stability.

The rapid pace at which technology changes our lives is an interesting phenomenon and I don't fully understand how it all works or who exactly is pulling the strings but I would like to know a bit more about how the world is changing about me and why it is changing in this way. My first 'experience' with technology in Korea was during my first trip out to Yongsan, interestingly enough. But it was terribly fun going to Yongsan, just for show more than for anything else, if not for the idea that I might actually buy a cool gadget. When my paychecks starting flowing, it was fun looking around and thinking to myself that the shiny new silver thing could be mine. And, look! It is! ahaha jk. But it's turned out to be a needle in a haystack sort of search for what I want and for what is truly available to me. Now I'm just wondering if I it is me who is the entertainer, or is it the environment that has been created for me, which is doing the entertaining?

And with everyday life changing so quickly, where one man's face is another man's disguise, where am I to go for any verification, or for any shared remembrance of the life that I'm leading? I feel like a wild animal that has unknowingly wandered in some sort of entrapment. It is a lonely acquarium that has been built for me.

I sort of just want to get lost somewhere, alone, and find my way out again. See what happens.

I saw something the other day, on the sleeve of a halamunuh selling vegetables on the street. She had this interesting piece of paper pinned onto her, I think she was taking count of something and stuck the paper there in order to quickly mark the numbers down. There she was in her kimchee squat, counting the pieces around her and displaying them on the veggie blanket. She was getting ready for a day's worth of good veggie sales. I passed by without really looking at what she was selling as it was on this path on the way to the bus that I always take and so I didn't really think too much about it. What really caught my eye was the piece of paper, though, and it somehow made my day. It was as if the skies had parted and birthed this woman, and brought her along to this moment of time for me to see her, selling her vegetables, and maybe I would stop and buy one, especially since I'm in need of some groceries. And maybe I was supposed to notice her sleeve, and maybe I wasn't, but I did for whatever reason.

I thanked the skies for parting, counted my blessings for such a wonderful day, and I went on to my next bus.

No comments: