Saturday, September 09, 2006

Knock on wood..

I just spent the last few hours walking down the street that runs perpendicular to the main street, which leads you right to Hongik Unviersity's front gate, and this street is the other main street; it's the one with all of the popular clubs like NB and Harlem, and etc. But it's also the street with a few nifty furniture, clothing, magazine and houseware stores which give me an altogether cute, homey, and decorative selection of places to shop on my way home from school and work.

And as I glanced out of the window of the bus I rode everyday that passed all of these shops last year (I lived near Sangsu and not really near the main gate at all but by the back gate), I never really gave this street much thought, but instead noticed all of the MDF signs. There was woodshop-y feel that swept through me on my bus ride, which was alright with me considering it's probably where a lot of designers go after they graduate from Hongdae, but then, it's a completely different feel when you're checking things out by foot.

You see, I went furniture hunting on Saturday, which was a perfect day to go and have a look since the weather is changing quite nicely into Autumn with the light breeze and cool winds that wisp across your face. After I went inside and took a look around, I got to see all of the different ways that the designers are playing with the craft of Korean furniture, and it was quite fun. I asked about the price of bookshelves and checked out somne hand-made desks. I even took home a few business cards and eagerly scoped out their websites, if one was listed.

And my Korean was enough to get me by, thank goodness all of schooling is being put into some use. I was able to ask how much things were and talk about what I was looking for. I'm sure it seemed confusing on what exactly I wanted, but that's because I'm not really sure yet, myself. I should probably buy a tape measure and write down the dimensions of my room, and I'll do that soon. With one designer, I did ask about a desk and he was able to quickly sketch out something that I had in mind. It pleased me and so I took home a card. heehe.. A lot of things pleased me that day, actually, and I have thoughts of what colors I might want, too.

This idea of making a custom-made living room has been keeping me going and is a great stress reliever. I also get to trek out around the area and get some fresh, crips air, which is a Godsend compared to Korea's deadly summer heat. I don't know how I lasted, but I did.

No comments: