Now that I'm considering writing as a profession, I'm realizing what my Political Science degree actually means, and I'm not just talking about how much I struggled with trying to attain the good grades as a good PoliSci student should. But I'm talking about the appreciation of a learning experience that came out of a major from a department that is ranked the 3rd best in the United States of America, and it was one of the largest graduating classes out of the department on top of that, therefore making it extremely competitive and difficult, if not nearly impossible, to attract any sort of attention that tells you that you stand apart from the rest.
But you don't really think about that as you are on your way to attaining such a major, and you would never know it from what I tell people since I'm constantly downplaying my major and, at times, bashing it (how dare I). What you do think about is how interesting, stimulating, and challenging your courses are, or you could be 'one of the lazy ones' and just think that everything is common sense and you, without knowing it, place yourself among the slacker-PoliSci's. Either way, you're a college woman/man, and your mommy isn't there to tell you to do your homework or to wake up on time. You're an adult, for heaven's sakes, and you're there to make something...happen. ;)
Now I'm starting to really let this all sink in because I'm carefully considering what my next move should be, especially since I'm more comfortable where I am than not, and that's a good sign during your 20-something's, or so I gather. And it is with this seat of comfort that I'm entertaining the idea of straying away from the art-minded writer, to the writer's writer. For the writer's writer is the writer who I prematurely cast aside as someone that I was not, and in the meant time I accepted my 3D way of thinking as unique instead of odd, or irregular. I comforted myself with those conclusions that I made while majoring in my major and continued to focus on parts of my ethnicity to help uplift me from the mysteries of my writing style. And why not? When thinking of the English language, one can easily think about one's ethnicity as an area of difference. But what I'm saying is that I was young, impressionable, and had no idea that I even wanted to write. Plus, my thinking about my ethnicity was a new paved road, and one that I desperately wanted a smoothed over and tucked just right kind of refinement that my lost soul yearned for...and I'm still young, and impressionable...*sigh*
to be continued
No comments:
Post a Comment