Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Creating Connection While Disagreeing

I'm listening to a podcast about having difficult conversations. They are talking about having complex disagreeing thoughts in one moment, how difficult conversations build resilience, and how there are benefits and thinking about moments of connection rather than the sole purpose of agreeing.

This make me think of the times C and I had heated conversations about things we didn't immediately agree upon. I had issues that I wanted to talk about and C found it difficult to talk though this with his, normally, rational mind and talk with me about my emotions and what I was feeling. But perhaps I wasn't really clear with what I was feeling, hence making my positioning uncertain, muddy, and difficult to understand. But the underlying reason to talk about it was, basically, to connect. But I see this now in retrospect.

I think when I approach a difficult conversation with C, I'll be clear with how I feel, or open to clarifying my words on what I'm feeling and addressing that, and not convoluting with an assumption or accusation.

I like this podcast.

No comments: