Saturday, March 07, 2026

Now I'm Under the Weather

My boo got better after four days of being sick, but guess what? Now I have it. LOL I have a stuffed up nose, sometimes it's runny, fatigue, and congestion. Luckily, I am able to sleep at night.

And another guess what? I have an interview with MLH on Wednesday. I'm so excited! I had an interview on Monday with VS but after I just wasn't feeling it. I did make one mistake: I downplayed myself and that is a lesson learned. No doing that in the MLH interview.

I've been preparing all morning. But I need to be confident, but not too confident, and I need to be clear and give articulate answers. And have an upbeat attitude all the while. I'm really really excited for this role as my long-term goal is to build in healthcare comms or health and wellness comms. The application process as really shed some light on my past experiences and how I have slowly building, somewhat inadvertently, this career and now body of work I have reached.

Ever since being at BKF in 2015, where I had the epiphany that I wanted to be in Comms, I worked hard trying to break into the role. In 2016, 2017, 2018, I would apply for Comms but then would get directed to a different role. They were all not good fits as I am a writer through and through, but I learned what it was like to be in the corporate role in different capacities. I think I always kind of blamed my lack of success during that time on my mental health, and for 2 roles, yes, it was a major factor, but I did get stronger and more stable. I learned what I didn't want to do, and I learned who I didn't want to be surrounded by. I'm fortunate to have that struggle of experience because it made me so grateful of SC where everything aligned.

I think GC was also a turning point: I thrived in a cultural fit, even if the position wasn't a fit. The culture of an organization is also important to me, especially seen at SC. But then in 2019, I broke into Comms with my first role at P and it was so fun. I loved writing intranet stories and working with the Director of Internal Communications. Interestingly, he is also a fiction writer, too! He loved working with me.

Then 2020, I worked for a boutique Comms agency. Then in 2021, I did copy editing for my first field comms role. Then in 2022, I wrote newsletter for another field comms position. Then SC came and it was the pinnacle of everything that I had been working towards: a lot of writing, a compassionate manager, a kind group of colleagues, and the mission of health and wellness. It was so good to feel aligned with the company's mission. I really believed in SC and they believed in me.

But now my life is different: It's not just me I'm supporting, but I'm part of a family and household. My family is starting to rely on me and I'll need to be the borrower on our home loan application. There is more riding on this than I have experienced before and I need to rise to the occasion. I need to step up, believe in myself, advocate for myself, and fight to earn this role. I need to have grace, and joy - which I usually go by - but I also need to show strength, integrity, and reliability. 

I'm excited. I hope I get it.


No comments: