Tuesday, March 24, 2026

In a Mood Today

It's not negative or down, but it's a little fiery and angry. I'm tired of being around old people, for one. I work from home, and B is an aging township. So I see and interact with a lot of elderly people. At first I welcomed it. I had a curiosity of old folks, as well as a deep respect. And I knew I got lucky with my MIL: she is laidback, quiet, and not controlling at all. She is actually very sweet to me and has embraced me whole-heartedly. But then, why am I sick of old people?

I think when I lived in the Bay, I barely interacted with those in their golden years. There is so much room for specificity in your community, so many subcultures, so many different ways to find friends, that it's easy to find uber specific friendships - with people who look like you, and are in your generation, who also write fiction. I got lucky with that as well.

But now I hear gossip from republican grandmas and I'm like, "Who wants to gossip all the time?" Or when they complain about our cat because they have nothing else to talk about. Leave our sweet kitty out of it! Or who tell me the smallest detail that doesn't matter like, "I'm getting a shower." Like, well GOOD. Good you are keeping up with good hygiene! As you should.

Okay, end rant. I think I'm just craving friendships, b.c I also know that's a way to preserve my identity: as Korean American woman in perimenopause, who is a creative writer, an ambitious professional, and used to semi-intensity from living in an urban area since my 20s. I don't want be sick of old people, really, I don't. But I just needed to get that off my chest.

No comments: