Saturday, March 23, 2024

Stuck on a the Direction of a Short Story

There are elements of magical realism in a short story I'm writing:

It's about a young Korean American woman who is a violinist in an orchestra. She is an orphan and relies on her best friend, Delia, for support and friendship. She has a crush on the first chair violinist, Peter, but he turns out to be an arrogant asshole. But then Mary meets Peter's younger brother, Oliver, and they hit it off in a quiet, gentle way.

During her surgery, Mary has a vision of her grandmother. During this vision, her grandmother explains that in order for her to survive the surgery, she must promise to save someone. But how do I make this story not completely romantic while keep elements of magical realism and still captivating the reader?

I might send the story to a new/old friend, C, for her suggestions. More heads are better than one?

No comments: