Thursday, December 07, 2023

Finding My Zen

The month of November taught me a valuable lesson: what you do with your time, will affect how you feel.

I was incredibly busy at work, but I kept up the pace and got everything done. I worked fast and enjoyed it.

Then I went to LA for Thanksgiving and my usual sleeping pattern was thrown off by late night talks and story-telling with my family. It was worth it. So fun and such good time spent with all of them.

That first week after my brother and mom left to go back to Michigan, I then I felt some symptoms of burnout: low energy, less patience, and darker more judgemental thoughts. Plus, my hunger got kind of crazy.

However, I did a lot to alleviate these symptoms: I got back on my regular sleep schedule, I went back to the gym more consistently, I started watching Korean dramas again, and most importantly, I had a 1-hour free personal training session where we focused on strength training.

And let. me. tell. you. I had GREAT energy when I got home from the personal training session. I felt energized but not over the top. I felt peaceful. Then the next day, I had great energy and was back to my happy self. 

I think I heard somewhere that strength training can help balance hormones for women, something about how the break down and re-growth of muscle causes the release of testosterone, which then balances female hormones. I want to look into this more, as I find it miraculous. 

And so in January, I'm going to do a month of personal training sessions! I'm so excited. Here is to weight lifting and all its benefits!


No comments: