Wednesday, February 25, 2026

Gold Medalist Says "Take Breaks"

The 2026 winter olympics have come and gone, but what remains is the awe and glam of Olympic gold medalist, AL, a figure skater from Oakland.

I watched her gold medal winning program and I was riveted yet comforted by the performance. AL was so relaxed, poised, calm, but joyful and in the moment. Everyone is talking about it. Not only how great she skated, but how unique her mindset is. The commentators kept saying that she is authentically herself, and that she skates to showcase her art.

It made me think: How does the lessons of AL's mindset, trickle into and influence my own life? In a lot of ways, actually.

I had started really freelancing at the end of January, it's been about a month now. I was so lucky and happy to land two extremely good first clients. But one client, I worked away the hours, and they weren't willing to budge how much a month they would compensate me for. So essentially, if I didn't find a way to become more efficient, I was giving away my time for free. That made me a little frustrated at first, but after talking to family members and my family friend, M, they, in a consensus, all agreed to "keep at it."

It's true, I do need the money. Like, really really. But after working for SC for about 3 years, maybe I got, well, spoiled. It was such a compassionate work environment that, yes, we all worked hard, but if you worked more one week, you could work a little less the next. Though you seemingly worked overtime, you didn't b/c it was comped in some way.

Not at MF. I'm working and working, but I think the org doesn't make too much money and may be on a tight budget. I was a little upset when I got the "no, we will not give you more hours" - answer, but I understand where they might be coming from. instead, I resolved to "give it my all" anyway.

My other client is fabulous and fun. They are an agency and they have a great client, though they may not know yet what they want, but they are from CA and that makes me feel really comfortable and safe, even though they want me to get on calls with their CEO.

it's been a busy month! I'm excited. I also had an interview for a really good opportunity today and it went well. I'll be moving on to the next round sometime next week. 

All in all, I should be grateful. And humble. I'm working, staying, busy, going to events, and meeting new people. I get to lay my head down at night next to Mr. Wonderful, with a snoozing, sweet kitty nearby. My MIL seems to really like me and she is low-key and low-stress. We are searching for a new, bigger home. The last component is to do foster-to-adopt. Things are moving along well, and joyfully.

No comments: