I am going to say it. (Or type it.)
I miss...
I miss....
I miss teaching writing to kids!
I really really miss it, actually. I think I really like teaching and imparting knowledge to others. It makes me feel good, it makes me feel safe, and I love seeing how the other person and/or persons light up with enlightenment, insight, or a renewed faith in something like writing. It's great. It's an incredibly de-toxing experience, and it's an incredibly soul-changing experience.
I fell in love with teaching during my first job after college in Seoul, South Korea.
Then, I fell in love with kids when I was back in a classroom in Fremont, CA.
But, it's not as easy as it sounds... I love, therefore I am. Right? Nope. You don't get what you want just like that. Well, not usually. There are so many difficulties, surprise challenges, and even hardships that come through during teaching, or with any profession or passion in life. I talk like I'm a seasoned professional. Really, I've just taught at afterschools for about 4 to 5 years. As well as tutored for a few of those years.
It's the kids whom I truly miss. I miss their ideas, thoughts, emotions, expressions, and faith in something greater. In that moment, I am not me, fully flawed, imperfect, and under scrutiny, but I am someone sharing ideas, hopes, and goals. It's a great feeling.
However, I used to get so tired and exhausted. Somehow I was craving a "9 to 5". I love my 8 to 6, but there is a part of me that really misses the connection with students. I don't know. Maybe I'm just going through a rebound period. We'll see? Time heals, they say.
No comments:
Post a Comment