Sunday, July 19, 2015

What does "Walk the Walk" entail?

"Walk the Walk" Phase, Kimberly Kim, 34, July 2015.

1. Take better care of my diet. Avoid foods high in cholesterol, as there was an amount of cholesterol that was found in my eye--something eye doctors don't usually find in people until they are a bit older. Therefore, this was somewhat of an unusual find.

2. Exercise 1-2x per week. Hopefully I can fit this in during my weekends now that I have a better mental handle on my work vs life balance. I was juggling multiple jobs for numerous years, and for various reasons. But now I'm ready to focus on one full-time job, and just have "hobbies" on the side! I'm looking forward to this new existence.

3. Try to practice meditation. This means taking the time to take care of my mental health, or at least thinking about how meditation can positively impact my mental health and help to alleviate stress during my vulnerable mental states, be it during stress, mania, depression, or through anxiety. It's not easy to be an American these days, but my problems are 1st world, in most cases. I'm lucky when you think of my stress in those terms.

4. Read, read, read! I want to read 1-2x per week. Not only exercising my body will help, but exercising my mind. I have a voracious curiosity that needs to be constantly fed! No wonder I'm not that physically hungry, my mind's appetite takes over most of my energy! LOL.

5. Finally, I think during the next 5-year phase of my life I think I want to feel a deeper sense of compassion for others, not just a consideration, but deeply thinking about other peoples' life experiences. I've begun to "read" people these days, and see clearly what someone may be going through. But I don't yet feel deeply for another person. I once felt deeply for others, when I was a volunteer during my college days. But these days, something limits these emotions ...

Perhaps my outlook on my life? Or my lack of inner trust, or perhaps the aftershock of PTSD limits my capacity to feel for others on a daily basis. I think this is something that has been influenced by strangers in my life, in a good sense. It's something I could definitely be more proactive about. Luckily, working as a front desk, administrative assistant helps me to develop mature feelings for those in my environment and community.

No comments: