Sunday, October 13, 2024

Mo Sugar, Mo Problems

Eating low sugar is all the rage these days. You see health and wellness influencers baking low sugar, low calorie deserts and snacks and think: "I can do that too!" But then do you ever actually do it?

I don't.

I'm no baker. But that might change when I become a parent. So. Maybe I should try? It could be fun.

But ever since my gut was tested at a naturopath about 3-4 years ago, and my penchant for Candida overgrowth, I've made conscious steps to lower my sugar intake. And I think my break up with sugar is for the best. It was me, not you.

But sometimes a sweet treat every now and then tastes so good. Maybe it's the dopamine release that makes it fun and, well, special? And if it's only sometimes, maybe it isn't so bad? But like a bad, toxic boyfriend maybe it's best I take it out altogether. Why do I keep going back?

At S, the lead of product innovation says that a little sugar isn't so bad. But maybe it's b/c they tried all the low sugar routes and nothing tasted, well, good. So they do advocate using some sugar. They call it "low glycemic". I could partake in that. At least my guilt isn't triggered.

But to be honest, since going low sugar, I've been feeling great. No mid-afternoon slump. But maybe that's also b/c I've been taking my iron pill more consistently. Perhaps it's a combo of both?

The bottomline: I like the low sugar lifestyle. I feel good.

No comments: