Friday, February 11, 2022

It's an Olympic Year

 It's an Olympic year as the Beijing Winter Olympics nears next month. This weekend is the 2022 US Figure Skating National Championships and I've been watching the top competitors on YouTube. Everyone from Karen Chen to Mariah Bell to Nathan Chen. Even a comeback from Gracie Gold.

I admire all of these elite athletes so much. It not only wows and entertains me to watch these amazing figure skaters, but it gives me a blast from the past as I feel nostalgic of my own skating days. I can't believe I haven't be on the ice in 22 years (the one time in South Korea doesn't count in my mind) and it feels like just yesterday as I watch this year's Nationals. 

I realize it wasn't only my experience, but my mother's too. She called me to tell me that she was watching Nationals yesterday and I asked feverish questions, dying to know what she was seeing on TV and who was in the lead and who was skating well.

"Did she land it? Is she skating well?" I asked my mom, as she gave me a play by play of Alyssa Liu's performance.

"Oh no! She fell!" she shrieked and I could sense her head nod in dismay thousands of miles away. 

She will always be my biggest fan and greatest supporter. I love you so much, mom.

No comments: