Back in my 20's during college, I found blogs written by other college students that I hardly knew. But reading their blog was like a secret underground club... only the select few were "chosen" - okay not really chosen, since you decide for yourself if you want to blog or not. But, still. It felt secret and special. I was entering into their sacred spaces and learning about them, and it felt so...relieving.
I could express myself, though I was an angry and confused college student, but I had a place to vent and express myself. I worked out my madness here. Alone, and yet not feeling quite alone. I had this blog to talk back to me, and each post was published and led to instant gratification. I was hooked.
Now, over 20 years later, this secret blog still lives. This was the beginning of my writing career, where I fell in love with this form of self expression. It was during college, in my classes, that I fell in love with books and words. It was there I nurtured this growing passion, something that felt so exciting, so understanding when I couldn't understand myself, relief from my angst, and a place to grow into a scholar.
I took it for granted then, all the learning opportunities around me. But at the same, I didn't. I abhored anything that got in the way of my classes. Though I strived for good grades, I made a turn and looked for what I was good at. After failing a bunch of classes due to pledging, I struggled to find a new passion after I had lost the sciences. I found college levels sciences to be too rigorous. I didn't know it at the time, but I was changing. But I know now how mecurial of a person I am. In constant flux.
But literature spoke to me. Assuaged my emotional wounds, and made my heart sing. I'll never forget A's class and being in love with each piece of writing we analyzed. I kept that coursebook and I hope I keep it to pass it along to my future child. I hope he/she/they will come to appreciate it.
Then I took AA lit my third or fourth year. I loved it. I read everything! It was so good to finally feel like I was okay at something, but also could grow with it. I didn't know it then, but it truly spoke to me and awoke a purpose and passion that would start then and last even to this day. I'm so grateful for those classes that became to be so instrumental in my adult life as a creative writer.
No comments:
Post a Comment