Sunday, June 07, 2026

Settling In

It's been about 10 months since I made the leap from the Bay Area to Memphis/Bartlett. And, honestly? I'm so glad I did it! And though I'm older, I'm actually very happy that I moved when I did and not sooner.

I loved the arts and culture of the Bay. There are so many subcultures that you can get into, too. I'm so glad I met other Asian American women fiction writers. If I had stayed in the Bay, I would definitely love to have kept hanging out with them.

But my priorities changed. I want a family and I don't just want to go to bars and cafes to listen to readings anymore. Though I loved it, I wanted to something different. A slower pace of life, a more simple way of being in the world. 

In the Bay, I was always hustling. Trying to make rent, trying to afford my bills. And it became all about hustling. And my best friend moved away in 2022 and I wasn't quite the same after that. I met other beautiful women whom I befriended, but it took awhile to find the right friends again. 

Plus, I was starting to get kind of lonely just working alone in my apartment, and only seeing humans at Starbucks when I needed a break from work.

Now I have a husband, mother in law, kitty, and new friends. It's definitely been a re-birth and has brought on newness and a new beginning. It feels refreshing, friendly, and light. I'm really happy to have met the women I have befriended so far. From events I'm going to, from meeting friends of friends, and just being open to new opportunities. I feel incredibly grateful.

And I would like to kick-off another new venture: an updated approach to my health and wellness. I want to exercise regularly, fast about 4 times a month, eat healthy, and lower my LDL levels. I want to feel good and be proud of my health and wellness routine. That also includes doing weekly yoga and meditation. I still really love to meditate, though it's been awhile.

It's been a great 10 months, full of life and living. Now it's time to build a foundation from which to springboard off of. I'm giving myself 6 months to build this foundation.

No comments: