Sunday, May 10, 2026

Love This Blog

I don't know what it is about this blog, maybe it's b/c I've been writing here for over 20 years, but I love this little blog and want to keep it as long as I can.

Some ideas for fiction writing projects:

-Short stories on the body using Magical Realism techniques

-Finishing my "Man on the Moon" story

-Review R's edits to my "The Surgery" story

-Reviewing Y's edits to my manuscript and getting that over to A

I need to start going to all my writing groups again. I've fallen off the wagon and need to get back on it! I think the writing groups will really help.

What's one aspect of writing fiction I love? 

Exploring themes. They add depth in meaning and metaphor to stories. It isn't just a story, but a narrative about a larger issue that people can relate to, identify with, or feel comfort from. A universal truth in a sense? 

How do I infuse themes into my writing? That's a bit harder for me since I'm such a plot-driven writer. I think when I write something, these days, I'm more interested in the cathartic experience since my writing has been so inconsistent. (moving, marriage, family, running a household, new friends, new experiences!) But although I'm experiencing all this newness, I need to give myself time to reflect and write. 

I think during revision, I need to think of what themes I'm speaking to, and see if the story as a whole answers questions about an overarching theme. I've never done that in my writing process but that could be fun and interesting.

No comments: