Saturday, January 02, 2021

Cancer Sucks

Be with him, his doctor said

I went into the 

cold, sterile

hospital room


I couldn't recognize him

anymore

Head bald

With his hair that fell out

during chemo

Eyes puffy

Had he been crying?


I was proud of him

of the man he was

The man he is

He was a respected urologist

Was, is


But I didn't spend enough time 

with him

I was so far away

Lost in a land of the forever young

The Peter Pan syndrome culture of the

Bay Area

I was lost there and 

on the inside


How could this be?

How could god do this to me?

I thought he would live to be 

So old, skin wrinkly like a raisin

With my mother

Till death do they part


I held his hand

He opened his eyes

Looked gently at me, full of exhaustion

Full of love

Full of memories, old

"Be good to your mom," he whispered

He closed his eyes

A hush fell over us

He did not wake up






No comments: