Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy Father's Day--Up in the Heavens--to Babiano Kim


“An artist is above all a human being, profoundly human to the core.  If the artist can’t feel everything that humanity feels, if the artist isn’t capable of loving until he forgets himself and sacrifices himself if necessary, if he won’t put down his magic brush and head the fight against the oppressor, then he isn’t a great artist.” –Diego Rivera


I see an image in my mind's eye, a picture, the one where I am laying on my dad's belly as a young baby girl, sleeping. His eyes are slightly downcast in the picture, focused on the sleeping babe. He seems content--peaceful-- and perhaps not wanting to move too much so as to not wake up the sleeping girl on his belly. Her eyes are closed, her limbs are limp, there might even be some drool hanging from her little baby mouth.

I feel like he's there with me every day in my life: watching from some place, breathing my breaths, holding me up when I feel weak, tired, exhausted.

For some reason, I don't have many pictures of my dad at the moment; for some reason, I didn't save them on my computer. I wish I had done so, saved a select few. But it was almost if the mourning hurt, hurt to see him in a photograph, especially without not being able to physically touch him--to reach and feel his warm soft hands, trace the life lines on his palm. I used to do that when I was young, trace the lines, telling him his "fortune". 

Though slightly somber in tone, hushedly remembering, I do wish this day to be a beautiful, wonderful, celebratory day for all the fathers out there, young and old. I also wish a happy Father's Day to all those who have lost their fathers, too. May the memories still be warm and held within your heart, too.

"It's a hard mistake,
When we collide, we break,
We break..." --Dishwalla

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Made me tear up. Well said my old friend.

Unknown said...

Made me tear up. Well said my old friend.

k said...

Thanks, Brigitte =] Thanks for listening =]