Saturday, January 24, 2009

A change of scenery and a change of pace...

Hello hello! I am back and ready to blog! It feels like ages since I last wrote in this space. So here goes nada, er everything.

I am now living in city of Memphis, TN where I find myself being lulled by the sweet soft southern accent of Memphians and the smell of BBQ. Ha! If only I ate meat... Well, ok, so what's actually happening is I'm slowly and somehow quickly finding my way around this town. Not without the help of my lovely and sweet boyfriend, of course. For instance, during my first couple of weeks in town, we ran around the city looking for viable living solutions for moi since we somehow stumbled onto the idea that once I moved to Memphis, I would find my own place versus us living together. It made sense at the time. But after three weeks of living together (the time I've been taking to search for my own pad), we've been joined at the hip! And, now, thinking about my imminent move to my own place, luckily with roommates, it saddens me that we will no longer spend every waking minute with one another, well, aside from the time when we are at work. But it brings a tear to my eye. Sigh. Who will be there as I'm peeling the carrots? Who will wash down dinner with an Asahi with me? Who will be there... on the other side of the warm and cozy bed...as I reach and hug him before falling asleep... Though I will only be in the next adjacent neighborhood, a place called "Midtown" in Memphis, it seems so very far away. OH how a fifteen minute drive can suddenly seem like an eternity!

As for the job? I am in charge of the live music calendar for an alternative newsweekly in Memphis that is on par with the Voice, I think. It's hip, it's edgy and it's just, well, cool. Me likes it. I'm also on the "Fly-By" staff and I will also be working with another editor on other features that are related to music events and food. Yahoo! My dream job! Too bad it doesn't pay. What? Yes, I am only a intern. But! Heck, it's a great gig, nonetheless. However, I must look for a paying job as well.

Though everything seems to be going smoothly, like a well oiled machine, I feel as if the pace of my life has completely altered, and it's throwing me off guard. I walk home from work preoccupied with a list of "Things To Do," which is great and it's keeping me busy in a new place, but the attraction of a big (yet little) city is somewhat waning.. already?? Perhaps it's a bit much for this suburban girl.

Aw, I think I'm just going through some adjustment woes. I have yet to form my own group of girlfriends, and I have been burying myself in work, too. Perhaps just a bit. But life with the boyfriend has been amazing.... I'll have to go into that next...

No comments: