Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Ile Camera: My first newspaper gig

It started with the announcements. I began my career as a published journalist by writing a few announcements that showed up at the back of the paper. Wohoo! It was a start.

Next, came my first obituary. I became familiar with the words "beloved," and "is survived by." Not to mention, I got acquainted with the Associated Press Style. I felt invigoratingly refreshed after my editor tore up and slashed through my lack of AP awareness. Tears welled up in my eyes, but I embraced it. Woohoo! I was both hurt and liberated at the same time.

Then, I was assigned my next obituary, a doctor who died from cancer -- the boat my father is currently in. He is, at this very moment, fighting liver cancer, and I know he's going to win. But getting the assignment was a bit of a strange sign. It was as if I was preparing myself for a blasphemous fate. But, I went through my information quickly and whipped up quite the obit. I was proud of myself, but knew I could do better.

So, as my second week neared its end, I was then assigned my first real story: I was to interview my ol' high school Art History teacher. He recently won a prestigious fiction award, and published his first chapbook, a small collection of poems. I was elated and in awe of his achievements, as I had been when I first had him as a teacher. Now, as the aspiring arts journalist, I couldn't believe how fate, again, was telling me that the stars had aligned just for me.

Tonight was my night, I felt.

And I conducted my first interview during my second week on the job. Woohoo! Hallelluya we chatted and he had a LOT of great things to say, being the great writer that he is. I sat with my pen and tape recorder and hoped for the best, and the very best I gave to the story. It was a bit longer than my second obit. Guess I'll try out developing my story lengths, too, while I'm at it.

During the same week I covered my first real story, I was also assigned a story about an annual arts event at my old high school, in which the student and faculty artwork, poetry, and writings are to be displayed for the community to see and gawk at. Plus, there are musical numbers and performances that will occur along side the art displays and poetry readings. It's an environment that will be charged with creativity. I was happy to write the article and zipped through it with eagerness.

And, finally, I just covered my first township meeting, in which I furiously wrote notes for 2.5 hours as the township board hashed out their agenda and raised passionate issues about the happenings around town. We live on an adorable island with a strong Recreational Department and they were also the hot debaters of the evening, in the hot seat and gaining a new member to their team as well as losing one to a resignation. Plus, the ol' Water's Edge Golf Course and Marina were up for some re-designing and re-modeling. As it turns out, the township is planning to build a new Water Park for everyone to enjoy!

And it's hot news that I'm going to cover.

As I write this, I'm thinking about the phone calls, the transcribing, and the questions that I've prepared my interviewees, of course this is besides learning how to let the conversation just flow and take its own course - where the best quotes come from. It's been exciting and nerve-wracking, and incredibly fulfilling all at the same time.

And it's only been three weeks! I'm also going to attend some of the events that I've been writing about, too. I can't wait.

This is all happening with the afterthought of what happened just a few months ago in New York City. It was a great 2.5 months, where I was enrolled in an incredible class where I wrote two stories that I'm terribly proud of, but it was also a time where I lived in a crappy apartment and had a horrible apartment mate. I've also suffered a number of rejections during those 2.5 months and during the month after, with my attempts to freelance and find "the right gig." My sore ego is STILL a hurtin'. Therefore, in a traumatic state, there are plenty of worries that run through the back of my mind with this internship, too. Such as, "Am I going to get fired today??" and "Will I see them tomorrow??"

And as it turns out, I will see my editor and my fellow internship colleague tomorrow. The threesome we've formed is a terribly incredible and talented crew of high journalistic quality. I'm proud to be working and writing with such beautiful ladies, and I'm even prouder at their skill, talent and caliber. I feel quite lucky. Please let me stay!

No comments: