Saturday, June 12, 2021

Turn Around

A conversation goes like this:

Question

Detailed follow up question

Short, flash story that's relatable

Show a sign of gratitude

Say thanks 


This is my short, flash story that's relatable:

It was a bright, sunny day in Oakland: the sun was shining high overhead, the air felt slightly heavy with heat, and the shade was a welcome break from the rising temperature.

I walked along the perimeter of the Morcom Rose Garden on the raised path that goes around it. I had a panoramic view of the entire garden - breathtaking. I took a deep sigh. Breathe in, breathe out. Close eyes, open them. The path was empty and I walked a little more, taking pictures of the roses below with my phone. Close up, press button. Delete. Close up, press button. I like that one. Post to Instagram.

A few weeks prior, a friend talked to me about the "Killer turkey" that roamed the garden. I laughed when she had told me that a wild, male turkey, one that had taken residence at the garden for many years, had suddenly turned violent. She said that he was chasing people around the garden, especially targeting women. I chuckled and thought, a "Killer Turkey"? Aren't they rather slow and methodical creatures? She chuckled with me, as a sort of comic relief from the stressful foul. 


No comments: